Keyword Searching AskAway transcripts may be useful for monitoring trends in question subjects, or just taking a glance at how frequently a session contains a key topic. As an example, we searched the entire system (all AskAway questions for the past 90 days) and found 39 questions mentioning “copyright”
To keyword search transcripts from your patrons:
1) Log in to your Question Point Admin account (9-digit login).
2) Select “Ask” from the drop-down box at the top right of the screen.
3) Verify the active tab is “Questions”
4) Click on the link “Advanced Search” (under the basic search box, on the right)
5) To limit to your library’s patrons, verify that “Owned by my library” is selected from the drop-down box called “Transactions Owned by”.
6) Search! Note that it’s possible to limit by time period, and transaction type (Qwidget/full screen).
What can you do with the results?
View in a table:
1) Adjust the “Results per page” in the drop-down box at the top of the page so that all results are on one page, if possible. If you have over 50 results, complete the steps below for each page of results.
2) Select the results you wish to view by checking the box beside the result. To select all, tick on the box at the bottom of the page of results.
3) Click the grey button “View Checked Transactions”
The transactions may be copied and pasted into Excel or saved as an .html file. A print version is available by clicking the link at the upper right of the page of transactions.
Each library can search transcripts connected to their institution, whether it is their students asking the questions, or their librarians answering them. Transcripts are only keyword search-able for 90 days after being created, but it is possible to bulk-download older questions. Feel free to contact us for instructions if you are interested in bulk-downloading.
Feel free to contact us with questions or comments!
— Reece, BC ELN